For Immediate Release
August 2, 2017
Trail Towns Tour: Calling All Cyclists!
Old Town Lansing, MI — Join us on Sunday, October 1, 2018 in Downtown South Lyon for the Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance’s 4thAnnual Trail Towns Tour. This casual fall color tour circumnavigates the picturesque paved multi-use trails between South Lyon, Wixom and Milford in Southeast Oakland County’s Huron Valley. In 1883, Grand Trunk Railroad built their Jackson Branch from Pontiac to Jackson, which crossed the Pere Marquette at South Lyon. Today, this is a paved bicycle trail that follows the original route. Rider highlights will include this historic rail trail, the Michigan Airline Railway Trail, through the tunnel underpass at I-96, over Ford Dam, Hubbel Pond, a jaunt along the winding paved trail at Kensington Metropark’s Kent Lake to Island Lake Pathway and back to the quaint downtown of South Lyon.
For riders that would like to explore more, the Huron Valley Trail also connects with miles of paved trails in Island Lake Recreation Area and Kensington Metropark.
The cost is $30 for adults, $15 for youth ages 11-17 and those 10 & under are free if you register before September 13. Add $5 to both the adult and youth fare for late registration on or after September 13.
The event starts and ends at South Lyon Cycle where there is plenty of parking and in the surrounding municipal parking lots. Ride up registration is available on-site the day of the event at late registration pricing. This fundraiser benefits Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance for state-wide initiatives to create an interconnected system of Michigan trails.
Did you know?
- Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance is a statewide 501c3 nonprofit organization and the statewide voice for non-motorized trail users, helping people build, connect and promote trails for a healthier and more prosperous Michigan.
- South Lyon was founded in 1832 and named after U.S. Senator Lucius Lyon, a member of the convention that drafted the first Michigan Constitution and witness to the Treaty of Washington.
- The settlement of Wixom dates back to the 1830s. The establishment of Wixom as a place started in the early 1870s when the Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railroad was constructed through the area. Willard Wixom platted land on either side of the railroad near the Novi and Commerce Township border. The construction of a railroad depot and the naming of the area as Wixom fixed Wixom as a destination.
- The village of Milford began with the building of a sawmill in 1832 and in 1834, the first gristmill was erected. The Lower Mill Pond was created in 1836 to provide waterpower for the various types of mills and factories and in 1845 a dam was created in the Upper Mill Pond. By 1892, hydropower made it possible for Milford to become one of the first Michigan communities to have electric lights (nearby South Lyon did not have electric lights until 1932). In 1939, Henry Ford built a carburetor plant and two hydroelectric stations intended to allow residents to maintain their agricultural work while working in the factories known as Ford Village. While much has been demolished, the Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station known as the Milford Powerhouse, was designed by Albert Kahn in 1939, still stands. Milford Historical Society’s preservation work on The Powerhouse has evolved into a town showpiece and was recognized by Preservation Wayne, Detroit’s oldest and largest architectural preservation organization. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a part of the North Milford Village Historic District.
- The Detroit, Lansing, Northern, Grand Trunk and CSX railroads all passed through South Lyon with the CSX remaining active today. The Witches Hat Depot Museum in South Lyon dons a distinctive Victorian era roof that resembles the hat of the wicked witch, which gives the building its name.
- The South Lyon Area Pumpkinfest was started in the 1980’s by the late Dean Sparks. Over the years, the event grew from a craft and antique show to a weekend-long celebration of crafts, music, community and of course, everyone’s favorite fall product: the pumpkin!
- Started in 2005 by former Detroit Tigers Pitcher Milt Wilcox, & his son Brian, Ultimate Air Dogs partnered with the United Kennel Club (UKC) which added dock jumping as a recognized UKC sport.
- Faygo was founded in 1907 in Detroit, Russian immigrant bakers, Ben and Perry Feigenson, begin transforming their frosting flavors as Feigenson Brothers Bottling Works. In the 1920’s they changed the name to Faygo and started delivering their soda pop door-to-door in a Ford truck.